Trouble with wireless LAN set up

Pererin 12:46 09 Jan 2006

High Gang, hope you all had a good holiday, now its back to asking my stupid questions again. The story so far is we had two new computers under our tree and a DLink DSL-G604T adsl router. Connected the two machines to the internet without any trouble, but the WLAN is proving a bit of a problem. Windows wizard says to plug a flash drive into a USB port on the first machine and then into the router and then into the second machine and back into the first machine. The problem is, we have NO USB port on the router, the wizard then tells you if this not possible to do a manual set-up on the router and print out the values needed. I assume that these values have to put in to the router manually but we do not know how. DLINK say that we have to contact Microsoft. Anyone out there got any suggestions I would be very grateful.

mgmcc 17:33 09 Jan 2006

A router is normally configured by connecting a PC to it with an ethernet cable and then entering its IP address into a web browser. Once it has been configured to connect to the internet (because it is the router, not a PC, that establishes the connection to the ISP) and configured for wireless networking, the cable can be replaced with a wireless connection.

It isn't necessary to use a USB flash drive to configure computers in the network.

Pererin 09:08 10 Jan 2006

Thanks mgmcc, I will go to it again and read all info, trouble is half the instructions make no sense to the IT illiterate like me. Thankfully we have people like you to explain things to us in the "nursery class" !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone