trouble with windows vists product key after forma

liloldlady 16:43 19 Sep 2009

Hi, I reformatted my drive and after a month it is asking me to enter the product key for windows vista home which is on the back of my laptop. I have done this numerous times and it keeps telling me it is invalid. I have been onto the tech help pages on the windows website but cannot do as they say because I cant access my start menu as I dont have windows??? any help would be highly apreciated.....Thanks

rdave13 16:55 19 Sep 2009

I have a laptop with the microsoft licence key on the base. Checking with S.I.W. it shows a different product key. This was a reconditioned laptop bought from Curries. Why this has come about I don't know. The only suggestion is to try and contact Microsoft UK for their advice; click here

liloldlady 17:02 19 Sep 2009

Thanks11 i will try your suggestion and get back to you with result.....

woodchip 17:29 19 Sep 2009

If you used the Restore CD it should not need a extra Key. I have two Medion Computers a Laptop and Desktop running XP home the Key that Restore putes in is different to the one one to PC's the One on the PC is to use if I use a the OEM CD as I have bother a Restore and OEM CD with these computers Key on the back Works with OEM CD not Restore CD

mooly 17:57 19 Sep 2009

If you formatted the drive how did you reinstall windows ?
Was it from a disc ? Full retail version or an upgrade DVD ? or did you reinstall from a hidden partition on the HDD.
Sorry if this as a daft question but you have actually reinstalled Vista have you. You can't format a drive the operating system is on, it won't let you ! as a safegaurd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?