trouble upgrading video card driver

maltose 18:18 01 Feb 2011

I am having difficulties with FSX, stuttering and freezing, and the troubleshooter suggests I should check that the video card’s driver is up to date. dxdiag.exe reveals that I have an Intel Express Chipset , Intel(R) 945G version 6.14.0010.4543. The Intel website will not upgrade the driver because it has been modified by Dell, the PC manufaturer. Dell will provide an upgrade (version 6.14.10.4543) and I am able to take the downloading procedure through until I am told to complete the upgrade by restarting the computer. On restarting and once again accessing dxdiag.exe I find I still have version 6.14.0010.4543. What am I doing wrong?

northumbria61 21:17 01 Feb 2011

If you have downloaded the new driver you should be able to go to Device Manager - Display Adapter - and "Update Driver Software"

rdave13 21:25 01 Feb 2011

On the other hand, it could be that Microsoft update has already updated it.
I'd be tempted to go to device manager and 'roll back' the driver, if available.
See if option available and if so check how it works. It's an onboard GPU chip I think.

maltose 10:49 02 Feb 2011

Thank you northumbria61 and rdave13. I have now tried the device manager route to updating. The MS wizard asserted I had the most up to date Chipset and could find nothing better. Incidentally I had two Chipsets displayed in the tree under 'display adapters' is that correct?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?