trouble with 'Software Distribution Service 2.0'

gerryp96 17:21 07 Jan 2006

I am running xp and am trying to do a system restore unsuccesfully, every time I try a restore point I'm told it is not posslble. There is something called 'Software Distribution service 2.0' on 2 of the restore points. I mentioned to a friend of mine and he says he has seen the same problem on another forum where a lot of people are having the same problem, they have been deleting this message but it comes back every morning at 3.00am .
Anyone help with problem?

BigMoFoT 18:04 07 Jan 2006

of PC\laptop is it? I have an acer laptop with the same entry in the sys restore and I beleive it's proprietary to the manufacturer - although the software dist service I think is provided by Microsoft

gerryp96 21:33 07 Jan 2006

My computer is Evesham desktop, the reason I considered restore is because some sites I could access quite recently have stopped working. Thought I would try the system restore but can't get it to work on any restore point. Don't know if it is the fault of this 'Software Distribution Service', Anyone else with knowledge of this?

VoG II 23:09 07 Jan 2006

I have Software Distribution Service 2.0 which I believe was a Windows update. I have no problems accessing any website.

You might have a problem with your hosts file. You may need to show hidden files and folders to find it.

1. Click Start.
2. Click My Computer.
3. Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
4. Select the View Tab.
5. Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
6. Click Yes to confirm.
7. Uncheck the Hide file extensions for known file types.
8. Click OK.

Look for the file

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Right click it, select Rename and call it hosts.txt. Restart your PC - can you now access the websites?

gerryp96 19:04 08 Jan 2006

Thanks for the reply VoGm looked at your instructions but 5 and 7 are already selected as you suggested.
Where do I find c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts?. Do I still need to do this in view of the first paragraph?

VoG II 19:07 08 Jan 2006

Well you said that you had problems accessing some websites which might be a problem with your hosts file.

If you open My Computer then drill down to the

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

and find a file called hosts (just hosts, not hosts.sam or anything similar) try renaming it and see if this cures your problem with website access.

gerryp96 20:08 08 Jan 2006

Sorry VoG tried to find that file but can't see it under \system32\drivers\hosts.
When I mentioned not being able to access some files can I expand, I am a member of Nectar reward scheme which some shops ie Debenhams support they give reward points which build up to a money value. Nectar have expanded to include lots of other stores including Play .com who I ose to buy dvd's, I have to access Play by going through eNectar on the nectar site and sign in then go to Play to qualify for the points.
At the beginning of December I could do just this but have recently found that I get the unavailable page, some site eg Amazon are no problem. It was when I was investigating my that I noticed the Software message, I just wondered if this was causing my problem.
Is the Software Distribution Service message genuine and if so why can't I go back to another system restore point, have I got another problem.
I have noticed also that everytime a scan is carried out by Microsoft Antispyware and AVG they come up with same things every time eg
PWS-PINCH and Trojan .downloader.small.popcorn64
and trojan horse clicker.fr.
Sorry to dump this on as well but could the problem be connected with these, I keep deleting them everynight but they return on the next scan.

VoG II 20:17 08 Jan 2006

OK, you don't have a hosts file - not everyone does. That has eliminated that possibility. If you are interested in what the hosts file does click here

Your infection with PWS-PINCH and Trojan .downloader.small.popcorn64
and trojan horse clicker.fr. is more concerning. I don't know whether they are connected with your System Restore problem but you need to get rid of them. PWS-PINCH is a password stealing program.

I suggest that you download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

gerryp96 20:35 08 Jan 2006

thanks VoG i will try it tomorrow, got to go out

gerryp96 22:31 08 Jan 2006

Hi VoG managed to download the Ewido programme and run it. It picked a few items and deleted them, just run Microsoft Anti Spyware and AVG and nothing has shown up so that might be alright see what happens tomorrow.
Just checked the Nectar site and that still doesn't work so I guess that wasn't the solution for that.
Thanks again VoG

gerryp96 23:06 09 Jan 2006

Thanks for your help VoG nothing has happened tonight with either Microsoft Spyware or AVG. Fingers crossed !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone