Trouble shutting down XP

piglets10 15:00 27 Oct 2005

Please could someone help!!
When I try to shut down Windows XP on my new Dell computer on several occasions it just will not shut down, sometimes it partly does but then the screen freezes and there is no way to get out of this no combination of pressing keys works.
The only way is to shut it off at the power source but this cannot be doing my computer any good and I shouldn't have to be doing this.
Although I have used computers for several years I am a computer Dumbo when it comes to problems like this. I hope someone has the solution!!

961 15:26 27 Oct 2005

Try disconnect from internet then shut down virus checker and once that has happened try shutting down the machine

xp likes to shut down in 30 seconds and if a programme takes time to close you may get this sort of problem. Normally a machine should close in about 15/25 seconds. If it takes much longer try to establish which programme is causing the delay

VoG II 16:50 27 Oct 2005
  piglets10 16:51 27 Oct 2005

Yes this works!! I shut down Norton and the computer shuts down straight away, will just have to remember to do this each time then.
Thanks very much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?