Trouble setting up Ethernet Modem

kie120 10:02 17 Nov 2005

Hi all,

I've just purchased a Linksys Asdl2 Modem to act as my ethernet connection to feed into my (also new) Netgear 108mps wireless firewall router.

I thought the setting up of a wireless network would be tricky but didn't envisage getting stuck on the installation of my ethernet modem.

I've connected it, and the bloody thing doesn't appear in device manager. My ethernet card is working fine (detected by XP) the right lights appear to be on the modem (ethernet/power/dsl) but no pick up in device manager.

The instructions are a bit crap as it assumes the modem will pick-up automatically.

I can't even begin to set the network up until this problem is solved!! Any ideas????

My thanks in advance,

Kie

kie120 10:42 17 Nov 2005

managed to configure it, but the connection speed is only coming up as 100mbps and it should be 200 i think?

Any ideas hombres?

mgmcc 12:14 17 Nov 2005

<<< but the connection speed is only coming up as 100mbps and it should be 200 i think? >>>

Your ethernet connection between the PC and router is running at 100Mbps, your internet connection is possibly running at 2Mbps, definitely not 200Mbps!!

kie120 14:49 17 Nov 2005

Ahh that explains it - I'm not very computer literate!

I've now got, my wireless router setup - all lights are on power/modem connection/and a 4 wihich i think is the port numbe ron the back that my desktop is linked to.

but....when I reboot and try to go to the config webpage my connection isn't working. Just gets to dial and stops.

The modem is set up to broadcast and has the right username & password and by the looks of things so does the router (it must have auto-detected)

I'm not sure if this is making any sense or what info people need but advice would be MOST welcome, this is driving me nuts!!

kie120 14:54 17 Nov 2005

my connection with my ISP (BT Yahoo) is set up to auto detect settings both IP and DNS.

This is so bloody confusing!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?