Trouble with PXE-E61: Media test failure

TiffP 18:25 18 Apr 2008

Hi:o)

I have no idea about computers so I'm hoping there's an easy fix to this one....

My Toshiba Protege 4010 has just been shipped to me & when I powered it up it presented with the message:

IDE#0 ERROR

Interl (R) Boot Agent Version 4.0.18
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Existing Intel PXE Rom.
Insert system disk into drive
Press any key when ready....

So, I unscrewed a pannel & re-inserted the hard drive. Turned it back on & now it no longer saysIDE#0 ERROR.... but it still says all the rest.

It was working when it left Aus & now its not so I was hopping it was just a case that something had come loose during shipping. Any thoughts?
I'm travelling aroung at the moment so I can't really afford to have it fixed... I'm not sure I'll be able to do it myself either but I was hoping someone out there would possibly know what to do & would be nice enough to give me a step by step guuide??? PLEASE :o)!!

Otherwise I think I'll be left with a really expensive doorstop... (It cost me £50 customs clearanace to get it sent from home!!!).

Thanks anyone & everyone :o)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:22 18 Apr 2008

My Toshiba Protege 4010 has just been shipped to me & when I powered it up it presented with the message:

SEND IT BACK.

You really shouldn't have opened it up, if it won't boot then its not fit for purpose.

This fault usually occurs if both drives are jumper as master (or both as slave) on the same cable.

Eric10 19:56 18 Apr 2008

I believe that the Portege 4010 is a laptop so it won't have master and slave drives. However the PXE messages indicate that it is trying to boot from the network card and this wouldn't happen if the hard drive was being detected correctly.

On first reading your problem I thought that you had just had it returned from repair and so would agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ that you should send it back but after reading your post again I suspect that Aus is actually Australia and no repair is involved.

The key to your problem is to sort out why the hard drive is not being picked up but there could be many reasons for this that we can only guess at. I would suggest starting by checking if it is being detected in the BIOS or not.

TiffP 19:59 18 Apr 2008

Hi fruitbat.

I should have explained further- I've had it for ages so its no longer under warranty or anything so there's nowhere to send it back to :o) The hard drive is brand new & was working perfectly ok before it left home. When it said IDE card error I figured that it had just come loose- which it had.

That's why I was hoping there was some way I can fix it (or maybe even sell the bloody thing for parts!) because otherwise I'm just going to have to ditch it... can't backpack around with dead weight :o)

I appreciate your help, or any furthre advice you can offer? Is there a way I can change the drives on the cable to read correctly??

TiffP 20:07 18 Apr 2008

Thanks Eric10...YOu're right about the Australia part...
... basically I'm up shit creek aren't I! :o( Unless I pay £100 to get it fixed... which is more than it cost me so, not likely!

I wouldn't have the first clue on how to check if it is being detected on BIOS so hmmm... maybe I'll google it!... I'll look under "Bios in laymans for girls who are too poor to take their busted laptop to a technician"... its a start:o)

Thanks for your help, & if you want to offer any more.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:15 18 Apr 2008

Sorry mis read the "shipped to me"

Try resetting the BIOS to default settings and check it can detect your HDD.

Also try to set First boot device as your HDD.

Its also possible the Master Boot record on the HDD is corrupted.

In that case you need to boot with a (borrowed if you don't have one) XP CD to the recovery Console and at the prompt type
fixmbr

then type exit remove the CD and see if it will then reboot to windows.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:17 18 Apr 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone