trouble with nvidia geforce 4 MX 440

vielle 14:45 20 Feb 2006

i reformatted my computer. i installed the motherboard. the computer would not let me install the graphics drivers.

however, after a number of reboots for some strange reason the system detected the software and updated it for me.

my problem arises in that now each time i install this driver, the nVidia Geforce4 MX 440 with AGP8X, my screen goes totally blank and goes into sleep mode, in which case i have to go into safe mode to disable so that i can just get back into windows mode.

i was originally having problems installing this driver getting messages like "nvidia could not locate any any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware" - to which i said continue installation anyway. at this stage, again my screen would go blank.

i'm really stuck. i've tried downloading pretty much every single driver available and each time i get that same error message.

i wonder if it's my actual card that's broken and i need a new one, or if it sounds more like a technical problem. and how do i go about fixing this?

cheers
margaret

Devil Fish 15:53 20 Feb 2006

you need the forceware driver

click here

forceware version 81.98

ist box select graphics driver

2nd box geforce and TNT2

3rd Box select your operating system

underneath click go then select a download link

it is quite a hefty file about 20 meg i think once downloaded go to where it is saved and double click the Nvidia exe file whick is blue in colour follow the instructions

Devil Fish 15:54 20 Feb 2006

need caffine

should add remove any previous driver versions you have installed

Devil Fish 15:54 20 Feb 2006

need caffine

should add remove any previous driver versions you have installed 1st

vielle 23:40 20 Feb 2006

i've tried that.
each time i install the driver i get the error that it's not compatible with winxp.

i've downloaded many of the drivers actually and none want to work.

i'm lost :(

WhiteTruckMan 23:56 20 Feb 2006

I have both versions floating round various machines round the house. Every time I do an upgrade of anything, usually it involves 2-3 machines as various bits are handed down. anyhow, pulled the pci out of a machine and replaced with the (seemingly) identical agp version. XP didnt like it. ripped out and deleted old drivers and downloaded latest one from nvidia, using the method described by Devil Fish. Still wasnt having any of it. Ended up turning house upside down and finding original cd and now works fine, but I darent update the driver.

ALso I note that your machine detected the card afte a number of reboots. Try re-seating the card.

WTM

vielle 00:22 21 Feb 2006

it's an AGP but i haven't changed the card. i did try repositioning it, but it seems fine now as each time i was restarting the computer kept detecting the new software.

the drivers from nvidia aren't working, so i tried the original cds which i got when i bought the card. each time i click 'install driver' it always asks me if i want to uninstall the old ones, and it won't install the new ones. i've tried installing longer ways but all give the same effects when i use the nvidia gforce drivers.

WhiteTruckMan 00:40 21 Feb 2006

If theres one thing we can be sure of its that the drivers on the cd wil work with the card. Assuming the card is ok (I suspect it is) then uninstall the driver. reboot and cancel any instalation from found new hardware. insert cd. when it autoplays, just cancel it. then go to device manager and look for the card. might be listed as a display adaptor or an unknown device. right click the item and ask it to update driver. it should search your system (including cd-listen for the sound of it spinning up) then -hopefully-present you with a choice of drivers. pick the one from the cd appropriate for your OS.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?