Is anyone else having a problem with the new free ZoneAlarm update (70_462_000)? I installed it last night and my wireless connection went haywire, still connected okay but it was showing constant activity. It was late so I decided to investigate this morning if it was still happening. It was still going haywire this morning, tried to do a System Restore but it wouldn't allow the restore. I uninstalled the new update and reinstalled a previous version (7.0.408.000), now everything sems to be back to normal.
Installed this last night on two PC's; having installed it I kept getting error codes on Microsoft Update site (one of the machines hadn't had the latest updates for Windows or Office 2003). Eventually had to switch off Zone Alarm, switch on Windows firewall, whilst I got the updates, all other possible workarounds having failed.
Checked out the same site on the other machine and the same error occurred. Both machines running XP Pro.
I'm currently encoding a video on my main PC, so I'll try a clean install of ZA when that is complete. I noticed earlier that Avast was trying to access the internet, even though I thought I had uninstalled it months ago, most strange. Anyhow, after a little trouble uninstalling Avast, it is now uninstalled, hopefully it was that causing the problem.
Loaded it (the new update) on to my laptop last night, no problems, it was the 'Generic host process for Win32 services' that was causing all the wireless activity. What was causing that, I haven't sussed out yet.