trouble installing Norton internet security 2005

pmcquarrie 23:11 03 Oct 2005

I recently bought Norton internet security 2005 but had difficulty removing the trial version of McAfee software on my PC. I removed all McAfee programs but McAfee security centre did not appear on the list so i couldn't remove it. I was told to to remove it manually from the list of startup programs and did so.
When I installed The Norton security software an error message appeared. The help link told me to delete audit in progress from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\microsoft\windows\cureentversion but this does not appear on the list.

I am also unable to access the internet using internet explorer. I am prompted to select setting but only given one choice...use custom settings. When i do this the prompt reappears continuously and internet explorer cannot find the server.

Please help.

Diodorus Siculus 08:01 05 Oct 2005

What is your operating system?

pmcquarrie 17:44 05 Oct 2005

XP. I decided to scrap Norton and use free software recommended in this forum: zonealarm, avast4, spybot,a2.

All seemed well until my modem couldn't connect and an insufficient bandwidth message kept appearing. Could this be related to my new software?

I performed a system restore to a date before i installed the above software.

pmcquarrie 17:44 05 Oct 2005

i meant to add...now i am back to having no internet security.

VoG II 20:01 05 Oct 2005

Install AVG antivirus click here ZoneAlarm firewall click here and AntiSpyware click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?