Trouble installing more RAM

plsndrs3 19:35 15 Nov 2003

Hi everyone,

Have today bought a 256 stick of DDR PC2100 RAM to upgrade my Medion 1.8 Pc from the 256 originally supplied. I checked with Medion & they confirmed by email that this was the correct RAM.

Installing the chip is VERY fiddly & much harder than when I upgraded the RAM on an eMachine - lots of cables in the way. I cannot get it to seat correctly as I seem to only be able to lock one end or the other and rebooting - even when I think it is correct - does not display anything on my monitor. Just a black screen with no bios or any other detection, so I turn of the Pc and take the stick of RAM out. Everything is OK.

I am trying to contact Medion to sort this out - & I have a PC buddy who could help me in a few weeks - but what if the RAM is damaged or, even worse, is the wrong kind?

Your help, as always, gratefully received!

Regrads,

Paul

recap 19:40 15 Nov 2003

Have you tried with just the new stick in to see if it works with just that one in?

plsndrs3 19:47 15 Nov 2003

recap - see why I belong here? It's so obvious, I forgot to double check the new RAM ;o( [I will try this tomorrow [busy surfing at the moment - lol]

My only concern is, if the stick can't fit in one, will it fit the other ......

Paul

recap 20:13 15 Nov 2003

It can be tricky, a firm even push until you hear the click. Remember try not to touch the goldis coloured edge of the stick. Also take a good look at the existing RAM to see which way in it is.

plsndrs3 17:51 16 Nov 2003

Have taken recap's advice & taken out the existing RAM. Have discovered that the installed chip is P133, not P2100 as advised by Medion so it will never fit as the cut-outs on the board are wrong & contacts are in the wrong place. Well, at least that explains why it was so difficult to seat the thing. Would've thought the manufacturer would know their own installed RAM?!

The PC shop I bought it from is closed today. I will phone them tomorrow, but as I have opened the memory I do not know if they will excahnge it. Do I have any recourse to Medion if they won't exchange the RAM, remembering that they advised this by email [which I have kept]?

Although the PC is running, I'm wishing I'd left things as they were now ....

Paul

Cretin07 17:55 16 Nov 2003

you dont have to clip them in, when you push one end in it should click in by itself. so i would probably put a little bit of pressure in the middle. and when both click in place you're done. take your other stick of ram out and see if there is anything on it that tells you if it is the same type of ram as your new one.

porci 17:56 16 Nov 2003

If you bought it on your credit card, you can report it to them and they will refund you and take the case up with Medion if they are not willing to assist you. If it all still goes pear shape, best bet is to contact Consumer Association (Which magazine) and get representation. They love this kind of stuff and will eat Medion up alive

plsndrs3 18:06 16 Nov 2003

Cretin07 - no, it will never fit. The 'old' memory has 2 cut outs on the base [to fit into keys in the board] but the new one has just one and pins are completely in the wrong places.

porci - paid by cheque, no plastic and cost was below £100, so don't think that they would want to get involved anyhow. Also, just moved to the area & this is only my second purchase from this [busy] PC shop, so doubt if they recall my only other visit or that I am able to ask for favours. Mind you, could always use your suggestion to Medion tomorrow if I have no joy or just go to the CAB with email in hand .... ;o)

Won't tick resolved just yet - let's see what happens .......

Regards,

Paul

plsndrs3 15:08 24 Nov 2003

Just taken my PC to another local PC company - who offered to look at it free of charge - and bought new stick. PC up & running, just got to sort out a credit note now ....

Regards,

Paul

recap 19:33 24 Nov 2003

Glad to see you got is sorted at last plsndrs3, a credit note surely you can get your money back?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone