Trouble deleting files

MIke 12:34 01 Nov 2009

I've done a clean Install of Win 7 to my laptop. Previously under Vista I had partitioned the HD to keep data separate. I decided to tidy up my data partition and get rid of some junk and even empty folders.

Some however couldn't be deleted windows helpfully telling me I didn't have permission to access the file or folder. Changing security settings didn't work either, rather sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.

Anyway I found this click here which adds Take Ownership to the right click Menu.

Result I was able to delete those obstinate files.

The download does add some entries to thye registry so usual caveats about not being responsible for messing u your PC etc.

woodchip 19:04 01 Nov 2009

When it does not let you Delete a Folder, First try Deleting things in the Folder. If its empty it will let you Delete it. Also Try in Safe Mode to delete and clean up

MIke 08:46 02 Nov 2009

Thanks Woodchip, I tied deleting things in the folder first but some files were obstinate and wouldn't go even after manually changing security properties. Though I agree that method generally works. I forgot about trying safe mode!

MIke 08:46 02 Nov 2009

Thanks Woodchip, I tied deleting things in the folder first but some files were obstinate and wouldn't go even after manually changing security properties. Though I agree that method generally works. I forgot about trying safe mode!

GaT7 13:29 02 Nov 2009

Unlocker click here does the job for me. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?