Trouble copying files to replace C drive

cdb 13:52 01 Jan 2007

Excuse the lack of search on this one, but it isn't working (for me at least) at the moment.

I want to replace my 5 year old Western Digital 80G hard drive (the C drive with the operating system on it) with a new Hitatchi 250G one, before it dies.

I've fitted the new drive as a slave (in place of the current seagate slave, which is mainly used for camcorder footage and editing) and formatted it. Then I've used the software I have (from seagate) to copy all the files across to make it a boot drive. With about 40G of files it is taking about 8-10hours.

When I've fitted the new drive as the master and logged on to my account on windows XP, I start noticing problems.

Norton Antivirus is stripped out of NIS2006,
System restore throws up an "encountered an error" window and won't work
Word has also stopped working and needs to be reinstalled.

That's what I notice from about 10mins of checking stuff. Obviously I don't want to carry on using the drive in this state as who knows what I 'll find in a week or so that may cause the system to die on my.

I tried doing the whole thing over again but in safe mode this time, so that nothing was running (that I know of) at the same time as copying the files across. The result was exactly the same.

I tried reparing the windows install on the new drive, but that seemed to kill so many additional things that I am currently reformatting the drive with a view to doing a fresh install of XP and copy any data I can across to the new drive.

I suppose my question is

1) Is there any other software out there (free or otherwise) that will copy my old hard drive across in the working manner as it is now, and not kill things on the way.

2)Is doing a fresh windows XP install a better option for the new hard drive?

3)Can I copy the 'Documents and settings' folder to the new pc and keep all my old XP account information and what file do I need to copy to copy OE emails across?

4) Should it realy take 8-10 hours to copy all that stuff. (I know if I do it agin, I can copy some stuff through windows and uninstall alot of stuff to save time if need be)

5)Is there anything I'm not doing that I should be?

The PC is an old Evesham, windows XP, athalon xp1900 80G C drive, 200G F drive

Any help much appreciated, Thank you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 01 Jan 2007

XXCopy or XXclone click here

However It may well be better to take the opertunity to do a fresh install and clear out all the rubbish.

You can use XPs file and setting transfer wizard to save all your favourites emails etc.

Instll XP on new drive place old drive as slave and copy over documents etc but you will need to reinstall programs and updates.

cdb 17:08 01 Jan 2007

I think that's what I'm going to have to do.

I've just tried copying the drive over for a 3rd time using the Western Digital software from another thread and have had exactly the same results except in about 3 hours this time.

Thanks

ed-0 17:34 01 Jan 2007

From your post in the other thread. If you are still have problems, you can PM me if you wish to.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone