Trouble connecting to internet via Talk Talk Broad

Ginger42 22:39 30 Dec 2005

I have a Samsung X15 laptop which is currently connected to Talk Talk Broadband via the usb cable and router.

I would like to setup a wireless connection.
I have therefore bought:-

Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router WRT54GS and a Linksys G notebook adapter. On connection I have an excellent signal strength between the router and the laptop.

I cannot however connect to the internet.

Can anybody help as I am getting really frustrated. Do I have the right equipment?

Thanks

Ginger42 08:49 31 Dec 2005

Forgot to mention, when I connect my ADSL modem cable to the wireless router, it affects my telephone line i.e. no dial tone.

Forum Editor 10:06 31 Dec 2005

for use with an ethernet modem, and the standard Talk-Talk modem is the Speedtouch 330, which a USB modem - you can't connect it to your router.

You'll either need to buy an ADSL ethernet modem, or (by far the better bet) take the WRT54GS router back, and buy a combined ADSL modem/router. This would plug directly into the ADSL phone line, and you would be connected to the internet via your laptop's wireless adapter.

Ginger42 18:41 03 Jan 2006

Thanks so much for your advice. I have swapped my router for a modem / router and now I am happily sitting in my lounge on the internet wireless.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017