Trouble booting XP

cleet the don 11:21 20 May 2007

I think I'm in trouble. I was given a PC by my friend at work, and although not young, it had XP sp2and ran really well. I proceeded to take all the programs off to just leave the operating system which went ok, I then went into the bios to have a look and check what was set up on it. this was the start of the problem. I checked the boot sequence and found it was showing boot from boot disk. I went to change it but it didn't work so I left it, thinking there's nothing in the drive so it will eventually get to the right booting medium. The fly in the ointment was that my friend had left a game disk in the drive! Now when I try to start it only goes to the first part of boot up as in brand name then...zilch. My friend says he hasn't got the xp disk so all I need to know is, is there a way I can get this back up and running somehow or do I have to buy another xp disk?

ICF 11:28 20 May 2007

You need to set it to boot from your hard drive

cleet the don 11:45 20 May 2007

That is the problem, It will only go as far as the branding, it doesn't react to F8, or any other keys for that matter.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:02 20 May 2007

disconnect anything plugged in, usb devices etc.

no cd / floppy in drives.

make and model?

cleet the don 12:56 20 May 2007

at the time I found out, I removed the disk and tried again...still nothing!and nothing else was connected as I just connected the nesessary to us it eg power, mouse and keyboard.
It's a Dell Dimension 4300,3/4 years old

ICF 15:17 20 May 2007

Reboot and continually press the DEL key to get in to the Bios

global-killer 16:56 20 May 2007

Have you tried re-setting the bios. It will revert to Manf original setting.

It should then let you set the boot order as normal.

cleet the don 12:43 21 May 2007

Thanks for your help folks, but it seems to have solved itself now. Booted yesterday to try some suggestions given to me but got into the bios before I could try them. Must have had a hissy fit and wanted to be left alone! But again thanks to all who replied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017