Trouble again (serious)

pontoon 23:06 10 Nov 2006

Having real problems with a relations pc, the problem is it wont let me do anthing, it just keeps saying internet explorer needs to close and send error message , it does this evey time i try to clik on to anything, and when i clik on send or dont send it just goes back to desk top, the system runs xp home 20 gb hard drive with 256 ram, i would like to reinstall , but can't get to the c disc to reformat, ? is there any other way of doing this, is it just broke?? any advise welcome. ps can't use system restore

birdface 23:23 10 Nov 2006

Can you try it in safe mode, Just keep tapping F8 when computer starts, If you get in , Run all your Anti-Virus + Spyware Programs,,Then if you can run either System restore Or Last Good Confiuration,See what happens,

pontoon 23:36 10 Nov 2006

hi buteman thanks for the quick reply, managed to boot using last good confiuration several times, no ghange? even in safe mode same problem exists.

birdface 00:13 11 Nov 2006

Can only think of, Start , Run .Type in. sfc /Scannow Little gap between sfc and forward slash, Sometime they ask for your XP disc to be installed, if they do you will need to come back out, Did you run your Virus and Spyware programs, Anything found.

birdface 00:23 11 Nov 2006

Forgot to say but that last thing, takes a while,30 Min or so, Maybe check your add remove for any programs you dont use, And delete them.I can help with the odd little things, But you need someone with more knowlege than i have to help you through this,I think that maybe you would have got more support in the helproom,But dont know if you can transfer it or not.As Long as you can get into safe mode,I am sure that someone out there will be able to get you going again,

terryf 03:18 11 Nov 2006

Doesn't the C disk format when you boot from the win cd and try to install? If not suggest that you download disk tools from the mfr site and run that from a floppy

Forum Editor 08:32 11 Nov 2006

of Internet Explorer is involved here?

pontoon 20:45 11 Nov 2006

Thanks again for all the help, looks like she is going to buy a new computor, so i think i will try and replace the hard drive on this old one and and try and learn a bit more about computors,
explorer 6 was was in use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?