Trouble after installing Windows Vista SP2

valbv 21:56 04 Dec 2010

Medion MD98300 Laptop Windows Vista Home Premium, 2GB, Logitech wireless mouse, Epson R285 Printer.
I have used SP1 for 3 years - no problem. Yesterday I downloaded Windows Vista Home Premium Service pack SP2. After a few start up glitches, I downloaded updates offered by Microsoft. All seemed OK for about 5 minutes. First my usb w/less mouse failed to function, but mousepad was working. Clicking 'Computer' I could see my two external hard drives (F and G). Double clicking either failed to show their folders. Restarted my laptop and immediately tried Windows Media Centre (via usb Tevion TV Adaptor). After 5 minutes on live TV it disappeared and was replaced with 'No TV signal' Restarted again. Created a test page for printing - printer worked but 10 minutes later it would not print. I am running AVG Anti-virus Free Edn. 2011 and Magical Defrag 2 and although I closed all programs as requested I did not shut these two down. I used System Restore to return to SP1 and everything is now functioning normal.
Can anyone recognise this situation and offer a solution please?

northumbria61 22:21 04 Dec 2010

My view has always been that any windows updates should be done prior to installing any Service Pack.

Follow these instructions -

To resolve system file issues, use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to determine which file is causing the issue, and then replace the file. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:sfc /scannowThe sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Following the operation of the “System File Checker”, I would revisit the Microsoft Update site again to scan for and download any updates, then would try (again) installing Vista Service Pack 2.

northumbria61 22:28 04 Dec 2010

Also note - After you install SP2, a sound device or some other hardware device may no longer work. If this behavior occurs, just install an updated driver for the device.

In this case you would go to Device Manager and look for any yellow exclamation marks against your listed hardware - in view of so many problems that you now appear to have you will probably find that you have.

northumbria61 22:31 04 Dec 2010

Sorry - my apologies - I missed the bit where you said you had used "system restore" and all was now functioning.

I would suggest you download/install any windows updates and then retry installing Service Pack 2 - make sure ALL other applications are closed. It could take up to an hour or more depending on the speed of your laptop.

valbv 22:40 04 Dec 2010

Thanks northumbria61.
I forgot to mention that the updates were for SP2. Also whilst everything was malfunctioning I did check Devie Manager and there were no yellow indicators anywhere. I assume by ALL this includes the protection progs mentioned.

rdave13 23:03 04 Dec 2010

Try manually downloading SP2 for Vista. Make sure for 32 or 64 bit stand alone. Burn to disc.
Method 3; click here
Disconnect from internet (manually) and reboot. Disable all your security apps.
Insert SP2 stand alone disc and install. Follow instructions.
Will finally install after reboot, will take some time, but your security apps will now auto start. Connect to internet.

valbv 20:52 16 Dec 2010

Thanks to both of you for the info. Sorry for the delay in responding. After two failures I have burned a disc of Vista SP2 and run the System File Checker which said it had sorted errors but would not let me see what was in its files, however their size was <100kb. Because of other commitments have not been able to progress with rdave13's suggestion I wish to put this on hold until after Christmas when I will try again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?