Trouble Accessing C Drive

terry9999 15:39 24 Dec 2009

Hi All,
Every time I click onto my C drive the following error message appears and I am unable to directly access the drive.

'Windows cannot find 'RECYCLERS\S-0-2-13-100031470-100025263-100022524-5661.com' Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click search.'

I would appreciate any help in solving this issue.
Thanks
terry9999

Graphicool1 17:22 24 Dec 2009

Click on 'My Computer'
Right click C: (your OS drive)
In menu click 'Properties'
Click the 'Tools' tab
Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now'
click the box next to...
'Automatically Fix File System Errors'
Click 'Start'
A notice will say it can't do it until the next time you boot. Click 'Yes' and reboot

Graphicool1 17:42 24 Dec 2009

Right here we go, I've done a bit of digging on this one. The cause is 'Malware' and even if your AV catches it, it will leave an autorun file. Not just for the C: drive but any device plugged in. It even transfers via your home wireless, into any other devices that are plugged into other computers. Including any phones that can transfer files, thumb drives, portable HDD's, memory cards, even a digital or video camera!

To get rid of it plug in all your drives and devices, and scan all drives with...

Malwarebytes AV download and install the free version... click here

Then download and install 'Autorun Eater 2.4'...click here

terry9999 15:01 07 Jan 2010

Hi sorry for the delay in my reply.
I will try this tonight when I get home. My internal and external dvd drives will not let me burn dvd's anymore. They only accept CD's do you think this will also be resolved when I do what you reccomended?

Thanks
Terry9999

Graphicool1 12:31 08 Jan 2010

There are no guarantees. What I suggest in my second post of this thread seems to be the answer to your initial question.

So, in answer to your last question, it 'might' fix your DVDs, but I can't say it definitely will, as your system may have other issues!?

Implement my first suggestion 'AFTER' the second. If you did it first, then do it again after.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?