TROJ_ISAPASS.A - ISASS.EXE

johncar 08:51 24 Nov 2005

Zone Alarm has shown ' isass.exe ' is trying to access the internet. I ran AVG and Microsoft Antispyware Beta but neither found any problems. Seaching on Google shows: TROJ_ISAPASS.A - ISASS.EXE . Can anyone give me more info and, if it is not a hoax, how I can 'find' it and delete ? Thanks John

Gongoozler 10:00 24 Nov 2005

isass.exe is a legitimate Windows file as long as it's in the c:\windows\System32 folder click here. The trojan that your Google search revealed takes advantage of this by using a file of the same name but in a different location. If denying this file access to the internet doesn't give you any problems, just set ZoneAlarm to permanently deny access and then forget it.

Skyver 10:04 24 Nov 2005

LSASS.exe is legitimate, ISASS.exe isn't.
If you have broadband, do an online scan click here

Gongoozler 10:21 24 Nov 2005

oops, I fell into the trap that the trojan writers set. The problem is caused by some fonts showing lsass as the same, or almost the same as Isass. click here

gudgulf 10:28 24 Nov 2005

Be sure whether the file is either isass.exe or lsass.exe

They look similar!!

It is as Skyver says the lsass.exe (that is L) and not isass.exe (I) that is genuine....providing it is in the System32 folder.

Use Windows search feature to look for both.You should only find l(L)sass.exe.

NOTE: you will aslo find it listed in the Prefetch folder.This is correct.

johnnyrocker 10:45 24 Nov 2005

sorry to intrude is LSA shell (export version) the same sort of thing please?

johnny.

Skyver 11:10 24 Nov 2005

Yes - that's the description of LSASS.EXE when you bring up it's Properties in Explorer.

johnnyrocker 13:13 24 Nov 2005

so is that safe or a prob as i have my firewall permanently preventing it at the moment?

johnny.

johncar 15:54 24 Nov 2005

thanks for the help guys. it was the ligitimate file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?