Trojan.killav. Is it really there?

compumac 13:11 14 Mar 2007

I have never knowingly had a virus. I have been using Norton Antivirus for many years and scanning has never discovered a virus. Also I have been running AdAware, A2 Squared and Counterspy. I have been using AVG Antispyware V7.5 for perhaps a week or two and today it advised that Trojan.killav was present in C:\Windows\1386\mmsetup.cab/msmgsin.exe. I did not delete it when AVG found it but ran Norton Antivirus to see if it would find it. It did not. Neither have any of the other antispyware programmes discovered it. I tried to delete it from AVG and a dialogue box came up “it cannot be removed because it is embodied in the archive C:\Windows\1386\mmsetup.cab. Do you want to remove the whole archive?

Any advice welcome.

ArrGee 13:15 14 Mar 2007

click here

I hope this is of help for removal.

It is a trojan that attempts to delete Anti-Virus applications.

compumac 13:38 14 Mar 2007

Thanks for prompt reply. Yes I had already seen that but I do not understand as to why Norton had not picked it up and neither has any other antispyware. I am wondering as to whether it is one of these false positives that one hears about.

compumac 17:04 14 Mar 2007

Should have been msmsgsin.exe.

ArrGee 19:04 14 Mar 2007

You may as well get rid of it with the link in my first post.

Some AVs work well with some trojans/spyware/viruses/worm etc, but there is no AV application that will spot them all or provide a means to rid them. That is why most of the larger AV providers will post a response to a threat with removal porcesses on their sites, as Symantec have done.

compumac 19:33 14 Mar 2007

The problem is that Norton does not detect it in its scan and therefore cannot delete what it cannot find. This is with Norton Antivirus uptodate.

Coff 19:51 14 Mar 2007

It's a false positive which has been corrected with the latest definitions update.

compumac 20:09 14 Mar 2007

Are you saying that Norton can see it but identifies it as a false positive and therefore does not display it, but AVG Antspyware does not identify it as a false positive and displays it as a problem? If so which is right?

Coff 20:20 14 Mar 2007

AVG incorrectly identified the file as being a trojan but this has been corrected in the latest definitions update

compumac 20:34 14 Mar 2007

I am running AVG AntiSpyware V7.5 updated 13th March i.e. yesterday ??

Coff 20:59 14 Mar 2007

Open AVG and update to the latest definitions (the definitions you are using are out of date). Scan the I386 folder again. (To save you scanning the whole of your drive, use the Custom Scan option and set up a profile pointing to the I386 folder.) Having downloaded the latest definitions you'll find that AVG doesn't detect the msmgsin.exe file as a trojan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?