Trojan.fraud.pack infection and removal

Audio~~Chip 22:25 22 Mar 2009

Using WinXP Home on a older machine which is in FAT32 on the C: drive

Trying to remove this infection, at least thats what I think its called after scanning with Registry Mechanic Spyware doctor tool, which won't remove it unless you buy the product.

I have also tried Kaspersky Internet security v7 trial, Adware and CCleaner with no success. Does anyone known how I can remove this infection please.

the infection gives me a desktop picture "WARNING" spyware infection in the centre of the desktop. It also will not let me into the Task Manager and WinXP Home desktop scheme will not change back to anything like the fields for green grass etc.

MAJ 22:30 22 Mar 2009

Try Mbam click here and Superantispyware click here scans in Safe Mode, both applications are free.

Audio~~Chip 22:41 22 Mar 2009

Hope your ok and thanks for the Call!

Will try SuperAntiSpyware first as I trust Hippo downloads from using CCleaner in the past then will try Malwarebytes.

Will post back my results and if fixed

regards

S.

MAJ 22:58 22 Mar 2009

All good here, except for a sore head after celebrating Ireland's win yesterday, lol.

Malwarebytes is okay too and Mbam is pretty good, if it and SAS don't remove it, then you're into some heavy duty removal instructions.

Audio~~Chip 22:41 23 Mar 2009

It did remove 12 infections in my account & fixed the access problem to Task Manager and Desktop sestting but in the other User Accounts x3 in XP, things seem to still be wrong. Should I have started in Safe mode in XP and logged on as Administrator and run Malwarebytes in that account ?

Audio~~Chip 11:22 24 Mar 2009

I have found that my account in xp is cleaned but the other accounts seems to be still infected. Would running XP from Safe Mode - Administrator account be the correct way to shift this infection fully out of the system? Thanks

mfletch 11:33 24 Mar 2009

Run SAS on all accounts thats the best way

MAJ 11:53 24 Mar 2009

Sorry Audio~~Chip, just signed on. As mfletch says you can run it on all accounts to make sure, but running it from the Admin account in Safe Mode should take in all users as well.

Audio~~Chip 12:08 24 Mar 2009

Dont know what mfletch is on about when he says SAS.
Running in safe mode on the Admin account with Malwarebytes is ok, have I understood you correct MAJ.

Thanks for getting back to me!

MAJ 12:18 24 Mar 2009

SAS = Superantispyware, Audio~~Chip.

Yes you can run Mbam and SAS on the Admin account in Safe Mode, Audio~~Chip.

Audio~~Chip 12:21 24 Mar 2009

Will post back with the reuslts, will try Malwarebyte first. Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017