Trojan Zefarch

little jack 10:57 19 Jul 2010

i am having problems with Trojan Zefarch Norton picks it up every day and sometimes blocks it but mostly quarantines it .They do say how to remove it something to do with system restore but looks a minefield to me .can i just leave it and let norton quarintine it ? Any ideas please.

johndrew 15:09 19 Jul 2010

Right click on "My Computer".

Click on the "System Restore" tab and tick (click on) the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" box. Click "Apply" and "OK".

Run your AV for a full scan and delete the Trojan from the Quarrantine area.

Restart your PC.

Right click on "My Computer".

Click on the "System Restore" tab and untick (click on) the "Turn off System Restore on all drives" box. Click "Apply" and "OK".

This should resolve the problem.

little jack 19:18 19 Jul 2010

what is AV ? i have norton

lotvic 19:20 19 Jul 2010

AV is short for Anti Virus program
Your AV is Norton

little jack 14:33 20 Jul 2010

Tried above but Trogen not gone .i ran the scan and it said total security risk detected 1 .items that require attention 0. i can not see any where to delete the 1 risk? I am also getting a box coming up with HP cue status has encounted a problem and need to close ? not sure what this is ?

johndrew 15:57 20 Jul 2010

With "System Restore" still turned "off" run Norton a second time and see if it still indicates a problem. I think you will find it has gone.

little jack 18:41 20 Jul 2010

just turned on computer and norton has blocked trojan zefarch its still there .

johndrew 15:36 22 Jul 2010

Provided you turned off Restore and used Norton (presumably up to date) I have difficulty understanding why it has not been removed.

However, try this:

Turn off System Restore as I indicated above - DO NOT turn it back on again at the moment.

Empty the Norton Virus Vault.

Go to click here and scroll down to the section titled "Trojan.Zefarch Manual Removal Instructions". Follow these instructions completely.

Go to click here and download HijackThis. Install it, run it and create a .log document. Open the log, highlight the content, right click and select copy. Go to click here and copy the log file into the text box. Click on "Analyze". This will provide an analysis of your system and should highlight anything suspect. Hopefully it will show only 'safe' items.

Go to click here and download and install Malwarebytes. Update it as necessary and run a full scan.

When you have carried out the above, restart your PC and advise if Norton still indicates it is present.

If all is clear, reset System Restore.

little jack 19:15 22 Jul 2010

before i saw this i had just ran Malwarebytes and it was gone for 1 boot up then it came back ,before i try this where is the Norton virus vault ? how do i create a log document ? thank you .

little jack 19:30 22 Jul 2010

where do i delete the trogen in norton?

johndrew 10:03 23 Jul 2010

I have the impression from what you are saying about the return of the malware that you have not turned off Restore.
For XP click here
For Vista or W7 click here

How to use HijackThis click here

You obviously are having problems operating your PC and the software on it. Given your difficulty I suggest you ask someone with a better grasp of the technology to follow the suggestions made above and show you how to carry out the tasks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?