Trojan virus

Richard M 14:59 20 Sep 2006

I have only just bought a new computer for home use and with it also a new copy of Norton internet security. I have appeared to picked up a trojan virus as the machine keeps flashing up a bubble to say so and offering to direct me to the latest software to get rid of this virus. Norton remains totally silent whilst this is going on. If I dwonload one of the free scanners the bubble directs me to I would seem to be infested by several high risk problems and numerous low or medium risk ones. Norton still remains silent. Am I the subject to some hoax virus problem to sell a debugging program or do I have a virus problem. Is there any reputable web site with a free scanner availible I could download to see if I do have a problem or will I have to buy such a scanner from a shop such as pc world? a reputable dealer. I have found a site called a squared which does seem to pick up some of the problems but still misses this trojan virus. Any thoughts appreciated.

skidzy 15:03 20 Sep 2006

Online scanner click here

skidzy 15:05 20 Sep 2006

Also try Ewido click here and A-squared click here

NewestRoyWidd1 15:05 20 Sep 2006

click here You may like to d/load and try this,also a squared is good,a lot of regular forum users use it,including me.
What name is given to the trojan?My knowledge is limited,but I'm sure others will be able to help you.
NRW1

skidzy 15:09 20 Sep 2006

Not forgetting Spybot and Adaware,these are free and very good as are the above suggestions.click here

VoG II 15:20 20 Sep 2006

It sounds like you are infected with Spyaxe or similar which is a rogue anti-malware program.

gudgulf 15:20 20 Sep 2006

This sounds very much like a SpyAxe infection

click here

NewestRoyWidd1 18:04 20 Sep 2006

Have you resolved the problem yet?If so,it would help others if you told us what happened and how you did it.
If you're still having trouble,let us know.
NRW1

Richard M 11:24 22 Sep 2006

Thank you for your help. The fix given by gudguf has appeared to work. This infection seems to be exactly a spyaxe infection. Luckily I had not bought the software it was directing me to. This does however make me wonder how the companies can get away with this sort of marketing. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?