Trojan Startpage.21.BI - HELP!!!!!!

MFL 10:08 01 Jan 2006

AVG's resident shield detects this virus on my computer whwnever I open Inernet Explorer. (despite an AVG scan being clear). Whether I delete, heal or move to vault it keeps coming back. (The file that it is being detected in has so far changed three times and is currently C:\windows\system32bntbi.dll )

I have installed and run spybot, Microsoft Antispyware, Ewido Anti-Malware, SpywareBlaster and Ad Aware. Have also tried to run Trend Micro Housecall but having run for a couple of hours it caused IE to close and now IE closes as soon as I try to install it.

Microsoft Antispyware does now alert me to and block certain changes (to my home page and search URL) that the virus is trying to make but the virus seems to win through in the end.

Does anyone have any experience of getting rid of this nasty virus.

Skyver 10:11 01 Jan 2006

Run HijackThis (click here), save the log and post here (click here) for expert help.

p;3 10:15 01 Jan 2006

see advise and info given here click here :))

MFL 16:23 01 Jan 2006

Thanks again. Tried a squared which found and corrected a few items before freezing.
Have now posted a HJT log (after running Trojan Hunter) and await a response.

p;3 22:39 01 Jan 2006

yup; can you post back on here when the issue is resolved so others know how it gets sorted?

MFL 19:19 09 Jan 2006

Machine now appears to be virus free following help from the Malware Removal forum as recommended. Can't help thinking that its a bit slower to boot up due to all the anti adware stuff I now have running! Also the messages that Microsoft Antispyware brings up are almost as annoying as the pop up ads I was getting. And I now have trouble accessing my Clubs website which is hosted by Communigate because of the banner advertising it has!
However I am very grateful to you guys for your advise and especially to the guys at the MalwareRemoval Forum - their advise is very thorough, professional, personal, friendly and FREE (although I did send a donation). I do have a problem changing back to normal start up which I will raise as a new topic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?