TROJAN PROBLEM

Star Lord 21:10 10 Jun 2010

When I log on to my PC, the sound always does not work, I have doe a virus check and it keeps saying I have the following trojan. TR/ClickCycler.PIJST.2 the trojan is in the

C:/System Volume Information. Microsoft SMSS.exe

I have tried to access this folder via

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders.
4. Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change.
5. Click OK.
6. Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it.

but I can not open the folder, as it say access denied. I am logged on as the administrator but still can not access it.

I have ran the Trojan Remover software and other virus software but can not get rid of this problem.

Has anyone had the say trojan and what is the fix

tullie 21:21 10 Jun 2010

Cant you remove it with your anti virus software?Ive tried a google for it and couldent find a mention.

MAT ALAN 21:24 10 Jun 2010

System Volume Information folder (where your restore points are kept.

turn off system restore this will delete all that is in there including the trojan...

trun on system restore...

Star Lord 21:40 10 Jun 2010

Tullie - The virus checker won't remove it, I tried to google the answer myself and gave up

Mat - I have just turned of the system restore, I will log off and log back on again see if that works. If my virus checker does not pick it up and the volume come back I sure its fixed.

the trojan, mutes the volume. I have to go in to control panel > sound and audio devices > Advance tab > and then un-mute and turn up the volume tab for Wave/MP3

will post again for an update to let you know if your idea worked Mat

rawprawn 21:50 10 Jun 2010

You need to Re Boot after turning System Restore Off, rather than Log Off

Star Lord 21:55 10 Jun 2010

just logged back on, trojan was picked up. Sound worked for about 4min and the muted, unmuted the sound and it lasted about 40sec then muted again. so unmuted the sound again, currently working ok.

But I am sure it will mute again as problem is still there. running a virus check at the moment.

Any help will do

Star Lord 22:11 10 Jun 2010

rawprawn

I've just done as you requested, still have the same problem, sound keeps going in to mute. When i re-boot the sound is now working for about 3min then mutes, I am using Avira and on boot up it picks it up but does not get rid of it.

john bunyan 22:57 10 Jun 2010

Have you tried running Malawarebytes and Superantispyware in safe mode?

birdface 23:10 10 Jun 2010

Not using Avira are you most of the posts on here are from avira users.

click here

birdface 23:13 10 Jun 2010

Maybe try this one it is getting quite a good following.

click here

It is a pay for program but you will get a 30 day trial. If it finds anything it will remove it.

MAT ALAN 23:28 10 Jun 2010

SMSS.exe is a micrsoft system file, the path to this file is
Windows\system32\smss.exe

however your trojan can create a file of the same name that is a threat to your PC, you might want to scan for this file to see if there is more than one...
click here

"show hidden files and folders" do this before scan...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017