Trojan Pakes.u

headdeball 22:45 12 Jun 2010

Hi All.
I'm using XP PRO and AVG9 which detected Pakes.U trojan but would not delete it cos it is on 'whitelist.So I put the drive on another machine as slave ,ran AVG and deleted it.Pakes infects Win32.atapi.Of course now, my system wont boot.Can I put it back as slave snd copy Win32 file from XP cd?
Dont mention ASR. I didn't prepare a disk cos I dont have a floppy drive.Is a full re - install my only escape?
Thanks

Ashrich 23:02 12 Jun 2010

You may be able to do a repair installation , boot from XP disk , ignore the repair console , say yes to install and hopefully it will then find your damaged XP install and offer to repair ( press r ) and it will refresh Windows leaving all files and folders intact . Be prepared for a whole slew of updates etc. afterwards though .

Ashley

headdeball 00:31 13 Jun 2010

Luckily,I have an Acronis bakup from months ago with the trojan on it.I loaded it on to an old hard drive and tried wot u said but XP actually installed afresh without the format option and did not give me the repair option.So i'm back where I started : with trojan pakes.

birdface 08:15 13 Jun 2010

If from AVG make sure it is not a False positive have you run malwarebytes.If not try it but update it first.

click here

birdface 08:28 13 Jun 2010

Googled.

click here

birdface 08:39 13 Jun 2010

There is this.

click here

But that was from 2 years ago and may not be able to remove the infection that you have.
Worth a try though.

birdface 08:54 13 Jun 2010

And having read more about it maybe it would best to go to the Malware removal forum and follow any instructions that you get from them.

click here

It may take them a couple of days to contact you but they will get your computer clean again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone