is this a trojan? - or not?

palinka 10:28 14 Nov 2008

I received (but did not open) an email supposedly from UPS about a non-deliverable package (that I had not sent) and warnings of what it would cost if I didn't collect it, etc etc.
I deleted, unopened, ran full scan etc.
Because it had been sent from a Pipex address I also forwarded it to the spam/abuse department there and received a reply that it contained "Mal/EncPk-FZ".
Today a friend tells me that he received the same but he did open it.
What's his best way of removing it?

provider 2 12:08 14 Nov 2008

"Trojan-Spy.Zbot.YETH is a rootkit trojan which steals online banking information and downloads other malware as well."

From ThreatExpert: click here

provider 2 12:14 14 Nov 2008

Perhaps one of these will remove it but I have no experience of using any of them:

click here

aitch2 13:04 14 Nov 2008

I also had this one a couple of days ago. I'm using Mailwasher (click here) which at least gives me more control over my emails without them inadvertently getting onto the computer.
Aitch

palinka 14:48 14 Nov 2008

thank you both.
aitch2, I also use mailwasher, which helped me identify this one; problem is my friend obviously doesn't use mailwasher - not sure what he does use.

DieSse 20:47 14 Nov 2008

I've had quite a number of these fake "UPS" messages.

Eset security (NOD32) identifies and removes them automatically thus rendering them harmless.

The secret is to get a good AV system with no "missing facilities" such as free AV versions usually suffer from.

Spybot S & D has rootkit detection - and a new tool Rootalyser

click here

And is generally a good all-round good anti-malware tool too.

However, with Eset I now find it normal that extra tools find no threats. A tribute to how nice it is to have a fully dependable security suite.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone