Trojan or Adware??

mike_taylor 11:03 06 Nov 2007

Hi Guys

I'm running Vista with Norton Antivirus, Norton Internet Security as well as Windows Defender.

Recently, when searching in Google and selecting a search result, instead of going directly to the desired site, I get directed to some sort of directory that lists similar search results as well as undesirable ones. The IP address starts with "click here"

I can't seem to get rid of it. I deleted all History, Temp Internet files and also downloaded "ad-aware" that's meant to delete such things. I also ran 'deep scans' from Ad-Aware as well as my protection softwares installed.

I even tried to do a system restore to an earlier date, but the PC's not having any of it!

Any Ideas??

birdface 11:28 06 Nov 2007

Sorry but your click here does not work for me.All I get is website declined to show this page.Googled.click here=

RobCharles1981 11:57 06 Nov 2007

Try downloading AVG Antispyware goto click here and clicking in the Antispyare Section.

RobCharles1981 11:57 06 Nov 2007

Make sure you update it.

birdface 12:05 06 Nov 2007

Just thinking it might be a conflict between Norton And W/defender,Hi just googled it.click here= Just wondering if you would not be better removing w/defender and downloading 2 other anti-Spyware programs to replace it.Or maybe better waiting and see if anyone else is running both without any problems.

mike_taylor 12:07 06 Nov 2007

Hi

This forum didn't display the IP address properly, so I'll try again....

It starts with https:// and then goes on to...64.111.208.122"

mike_taylor 12:10 06 Nov 2007

I've temporarily gotten over the problem by changing my homepage to "ASK" instead of "Google" The problem doesn't seem to appear when searching with this alternative directory.

Maybe this...whatever it is...has attached itself to my version of Google???

birdface 12:50 06 Nov 2007

I take it that you have changed your default search engine.Now if you try, [Mind you I am using Internet Explorer.]If you click the drop down bar on the little search bar,on the toolbar,and press, Change Search Defaults.Highlight Google and press remove.That will remove it from your search engines.And the next time you reboot your computer.Go into find more providers.And click on Google.Then make it your default search engine again and see if that gets rid of the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?