Trojan or ?

skidzy 15:33 18 Nov 2007

Just a quickie people;

AVG has flagged a possible trojan,im not convinced ! i believe this to be a false positive.

The possible Trojan in question is (Generic 9.VPA)

Located in
C:\Programs Files\Dell\Quickset\SVCLauncher.exe

I have researched this to no avail,yet to run the other apps,but will do a bit later.

I am reasonably convinced its a false positive due to the location it has been found in.

If anyone else has come across this,especially if you have a Dell machine...i would appreciate your input.

As usual,all advice welcome and greatly appreciated thankyou.

VoG II 15:35 18 Nov 2007

Looks to be a false positive click here

skidzy 16:20 18 Nov 2007

Cheers VoG™,had a good look around and no more alerts once quarrantined but unable to heal.

Certainly does looks like a false positive.

Thanks again VoG™

gzumba1 04:07 20 Nov 2007

I just got the exact same notification from AVG. Your site was the only one that popped up on a google search. I appreciate both of you , Skidz and VoG, for such quick diligence. My PC was not on yesterday, so today was the first time I could get this result. I'll sleep better tonight.

skidzy 15:57 20 Nov 2007

The powers of Google and the ever friendly knowledgable folk here at PCA will see almost anything through gzumba1.

Just to confirm,you have nothing to worry about,just let AVG do its thing by adding it to the vault.

rn58 02:06 18 Dec 2007

Yes, I have read the posts, yes, AVG put it in the Vault, but it is NOT healable. And it HAS wreaked Havoc on my Dell Laptop! I cannot use part of my Adobe, because Acrobat is somehow "disabled". Also, cannot use my FAX. It is affecting other launchers somehow. What exactly does a Trojan Do? RN58

rn58 02:07 18 Dec 2007

I meant Generic 9 is what I have, and it also showed that it's IN SVCLauncher.exe. Excse the mistake. RN58

skidzy 15:28 18 Dec 2007

Not sure how this could have affected your machine as like ive said and been confirmed...its a false positive,though not 100% positive.

Ive had no after effects,no problems what so ever.

Please check again;

Do you have this exactly correct

Generic 9.VPA

The spelling of the possible trojan or false positive is crucial.

Personally if i where you,i would first try system restore to see if your apps are working correctly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?