Trojan horse BackDoor Generic2JGV

Kaz the Gas 22:19 26 Feb 2006

I'm running AVG7 free edition in XP and am now getting the following message on an intermittent basis:

Virus Detected!
While opening file C:\Windows\System32\PPTP32.DLL
Trojan horse BackDoor Generic2JGV

I haven't got PPTP32.DLL on my computer - even checking for system and hidden files.
I'm normally quite careful about avoiding spam, but I think I clicked on one out of curiosity - can't remember which one now!

Please help

Kaz

VoG II 22:22 26 Feb 2006

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

skidzy 22:35 26 Feb 2006

Kaz...Do as Vog says and also try Spybot search and destroy and Adaware
All can be found click here

Kaz the Gas 19:34 01 Mar 2006

Ewido seems to have done the trick. It scanned and cleaned my machine as per your advice. No recurrence for a day, then one or two more popped up, but seem to have gone away. One time it was obvious was when I opened a Word file, but nothing since.

I had tried Spybot, but it threw up so many errors that I couldn't differentiate between the good and the bad. If I don't post again, the problem has gone away.

Thanks for the help

Kaz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017