Trojan horse

The Dazza 20:23 07 Feb 2006

I have Norton 2006 and it has found a 'Trojan horse' that it cannot repair or delete. Anyone know a decent program to get rid of it? Cheers

Haol 20:27 07 Feb 2006

Download a trial of Kaspersky Anti Virus click here and run that, it should hopefully get rid of it.

VoG II 20:28 07 Feb 2006

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Launch Ewido by double clicking the icon on your desktop. The program will now go to the main screen. You will need to update Ewido to the latest definition files. On the left hand side of the main screen click update then click on Start Update.

Then select 'Settings'. Under the bottom section 'What to Scan?' make sure 'Scan every file' is ticked. Select 'OK' and you will return to scanning options. Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin. This scan can take quite a while to run.

While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose 'Clean' (or 'Delete' if 'Clean' is not an option). Then put a tick next to 'Perform action on all infections'. Doing this enables the scan to proceed automatically until its completion. Click OK.

The Dazza 20:48 07 Feb 2006

When installing, under 'Additional Options' untick 'Install background guard' and 'Install scan via context menu'.

Why untick?

VoG II 20:50 07 Feb 2006

Because you do not want to cause a conflict with your Norton anti-virus software.

The Dazza 20:51 07 Feb 2006

currently scanning..........

Jak_1 21:16 07 Feb 2006

What os are you running? It win me or win xp then the offending trojan could be in the 'system restore' files in which case no av will erradicate it (system restore) from there whilst it is active.

Try disableing system restore via the control panel and then run your av. I would do this in safe mode.

Trojans have a nasty habit of lodging in the sys restore files.

The Dazza 21:25 07 Feb 2006

Yeah, I think you may have cracked it. I have disabled system restore & doing another scan as we speak. Ewido found some dodgy files but get rid of the Trojan horse - ney it didn't (sorry!)

rawprawn 21:55 07 Feb 2006

click here Try this online scan

Jak_1 22:08 07 Feb 2006

Do you know the name of the trojan?

The Dazza 19:05 08 Feb 2006

No, I have a workaround from Norton's website which I will have a bash at.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?