Trojan help

handful 19:07 12 Jun 2003

I keep getting a pop-up telling me I have a Trojan and to run AVG to get rid of it. AVG does not however detect it. The message tells me it is resident in C:\System Volume Information\_restore{860COBBA-960B-432A-834E-2B3OE34D351DD}\RP129\A0199754.EXE
If I am right this is a restore point. I have tried to restore to the oldest available point but still get the message about the trojan. I have tried SWAT IT but this didn't detect either. Anyone have any ideas?

VoG? 19:09 12 Jun 2003

You need to disable System Restore, run AVG, enable System Restore.

NOTE this will delete all your existing restore points.

click here

handful 19:37 12 Jun 2003

Thanks VoG?
I will give it a try. not too worried about restore points. Never had them with 98:)

suzie005 19:45 12 Jun 2003

AVG didn't detect viruses on my system the other day either.when u've sorted system restore out.try this

click here

u want to click on free scan ( on the right hand side).it's pretty thorough.i ran that to get the all clear.

keith-236785 20:10 12 Jun 2003

AVG wont pick up on Trojans because AVG is a virus checker, to check for trojans you need a Trojan Checker, go to click here , download the trial, install and run the atshield scanner. it will tell you if and where your trojans are but will not delete them (you need to register for this)

if you were to turn off System Restore you would lose ALL restore points, there is a way to remove only the infected restore point but as you said, you didnt have them in win98 so go ahead Disable Restore, then re-enable it, the restore points AND the trojan will be gone

good luck

The Sack 20:19 12 Jun 2003

Hmmm i think you will find that AVG does detect Trojans, as does Mcafee and Norton.

click here is a worth alternative.

Little Davel 20:33 12 Jun 2003

Anyone tried the free GFI trojanscan.com ? Online scanner looks like a good service which deals with any trojans found.

Taw 20:40 12 Jun 2003

I had the same problem a while ago, Vog gave me the same info and everything is well since

handful 10:16 13 Jun 2003

I have done as Vog suggested and ave not had the trojan warning pop-up since. Still no sign of anything being detected though so presumably the virus was discarded with the restore points...hope so and thanks guys (and girls)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?