trojan dialer help please

carolineann 18:52 06 Apr 2004

my neighbour has a trojan dialer that avg seems unable to get rid of. she is on xp. any advice please.

VoG II 18:53 06 Apr 2004

Spybot click here - download, update and run.

carolineann 18:59 06 Apr 2004

thanks vog gonna go and download on her computer now.

justme 19:16 06 Apr 2004

To prevent your friend's computer running up a large phone bill may I suggest you go to click here and download their program.

The site is in German but during instalation of the program you can select English. This program can be set to only allow your computer to dial only one number unless you allow otherwise. It stops dialers phoning out until you either allow it to or select cancel.

It does not eliminate the dialer but does prevent an unpleasnt surprise in your phone bill.

rawprawn 19:54 06 Apr 2004

That sounds a good program, can you explain what the position is if you are on broadband

cdb 21:52 06 Apr 2004

If you're on cable broadband, just unplug the modem assuming you don't need it to send faxes. Then a dialler can't make a call, because it can't connect.

rawprawn 09:41 07 Apr 2004

No I am on Tiscali & I still have my old Freeserve modem on pay as you go for backup.

hoverman 10:07 07 Apr 2004

Correct me anyone if I am wrong, but I thought that broadband modems cannot dial out telephone numbers - only the analogue type used with ordinary dial-up can do this.

ventanas 10:41 07 Apr 2004

That looks to be a very useful program, thank you.

Before I install it, is the help file in English as I can just see me blocking all numbers and not being able to get out of it. Thanks.

carolineann 10:52 07 Apr 2004

thanks , for your tip, problem now solved.no virus left. just me with a hangover.should really have gone home when I had finished, but it is rude to say no, is'nt it?

the-george 10:53 07 Apr 2004

Suggest you look at the following thread in case any System Restore points have been created since the PC was infected.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The pulp art of 80s computer game magazine covers

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?