Trojan can't be removed

Throbber 11:08 27 Sep 2005

McAfee has detected a trojan which it can't clean, quarantine or remove. It says
"The file C:\WINDOWS\system323\hp9514.tmp is infected by the Puper.dll trojan and cannot be cleaned."
I removed a similar file manually, but on restart the same message (with a different number after the "hp") appeared.
I'm running Windows XP Home SP2.

Anyone know how to kill this?

MAJ 11:15 27 Sep 2005

Try "A-squared", Throbber. click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:41 27 Sep 2005

Viruses hide in system restore
1. to prevent virus returning on restart you need to scan and clean/delete with system restore switched off.

2. try scanning in safe mode thi may allow the file to be deleted.

rawprawn 12:47 27 Sep 2005

I had this last week, it seems to be part of a trojan called Media Motor,I was unable to delete it and eventually used an Acronis backup to get rid of it click here to have a look and see if any of it helps. I was unable to find it in the registry or windows which would have let me manually delete it. Good luck.

rawprawn 13:39 27 Sep 2005

I should have said "I think" it is part of media motor, as it was one of about 5 different trojans that appeared when I became infected. This may be worth a look click here and also click here

Throbber 06:29 29 Sep 2005

Thanks, all.
Like rawprawn, I couldn't find any way to delete it.
Did a system restore, and that seemed to allow McAfee to then clean it. All now seems well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?