Triple Booting - Partial Knowledge

avesnes1 20:06 11 Mar 2010

On my machine I have two internal hard disk drives and, for backups, an external drive.

When I bought the machine just over three years ago, it came with:-

Hard Disk '0' partitioned into:-
Logical Disk 'C' containing XP
and Logical Disk 'D' containing Recovery for XP

I obtained from Hewlett Packard the free express upgrade to Vista. I clean installed Vista onto:-

Hard Disk '1' as Logical Disk 'D'.

When Windows 7 arrived, I created a partition on Hard Disk '1' and installed W7 onto Logical Disk 'W'. (i.e. alongside Vista)

When I boot the machine, I am offered the choice of XP, W7, Vista and the XP Recovery.

I have read a little about boot sequences (IPL's, _PBR's, ntldr's, BCD's etc.) and I am a bit confused because I now want to remove Vista and reclaim the space for W7 on Hard Disk '1'.

If I delete the partition containing Vista, will that mess up the boot sequence? Are the three operating systems on my machine somehow "linked" or "chained" such that an initial boot goes via XP and then Vista to get to W7?.......or am I even more confused than I think I am?.

My concern is that deleting Vista might remove the link to W7 or am I worrying unnecessarily?

I would be grateful members' comments/guidance. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Zeppelyn 20:23 11 Mar 2010

You have no need to worry, deleting the Vista partition will not affect the other two. In fact its the Win7/Vista boot loader that controls how XP boots in this case. Assuming "C" is the system/boot drive then you have no problems deleting Vista. You can easily tell which partition is boot as it will contain Bootmgr, ntldr, boot.ini etc. Firstly I would download Easybcd to remove Vista from your boot loader options. click here

avesnes1 21:51 11 Mar 2010

Zeppelyn,
Thanks for your reply and reassurance!

As I'd like to improve my understanding (I won't say complete my education)of what is happening when I start my machine, would it be possible for you to describe step-by-step the chain of events that occur when I boot my desktop? I'd be most grateful for your assistance.

Avesnes1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017