Trillian instant messaging

crespo 02:38 10 Jan 2007

My other half is in the USA as part of her work.We've been phoning & emailing but it's not enough.We really want to be able to chat for as long as we want.
She's using MSN - presumably the US version.I'm told that Trillian can connect with any IM program anywhere so you can chat to them, irrespective of who they're with.
Can anyone out there give me any advice on how to set Trillian up? Or can someone suggest a better alternative? Many thanks.Crespo.

oldbeefer2 08:54 10 Jan 2007

I used it for a while for video conferencing (this requires the paid version - chat can be done with the free one). I had to get an AOL IM name first (use an older version as the later ones are full of AOL [email protected] click here). Then just download Trillian. The set up is self explanatory. Alternatively both go for Skype click here (again, free) - this seems to be the favoured one at the moment. If you want to video conference, I recommend Sightspeed click here which works very well on broadband.

Dan S 09:14 10 Jan 2007

Trillian is a really useful peice of kit; it has plugins allowning you to connect to MSN, AIM, Yahoo! IM and ICQ, as well as IRC and Google Talk, with a bit of jiggery-pokery.

As much as I like Trillian, you can only get the basic version for free, and while it's primary function is unaffected, you are limited in how much you can customise the free version.

Also, I'm somewhat confused as to why you've decided on Trillian rather than use MSN as your other half has done; fair enough if you use another instant messenger, but you didn't say either way. What you do need to be aware of though, is that Trillian doesn't provide a 'Universal' Instant messenger account, instead it manages individual connections to the different services.

Let me explain; you wouldn't have one account, such as [email protected], which could talk to MSN, AIM, ICQ etc, what you would have are individual accounts with each of these services that Trillian manages in the same place. This would mean that, if you wanted you talk with your partner on MSN, you too would need an account with MSN. Trillian would only really benefit you if you have a different account, perhaps an AIM, that you wanted to be able to use at the same time without using different applications.

If you don't need to use multiple accounts, then your best bet would be to set yourself up a hotmail account or register your E-Mail address as .net passport and use MSN.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?