Tried to do some upgrades, now it wont post

rossgolf 23:14 15 Aug 2008

hi, just a quick one. i just tried to do some quick upgrades, ie. put some more usbs via a usb bracket; and put in a IDE HDD.
once i had put them all securely in the case, i closed it all up and plugged it all back in. now it wont even post or beep or make any kind of movement on the display.
i have double checked that nothing has come loose.
any ideas?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:50 15 Aug 2008

IDE jumpers set correctly?

Remove USB and retry

rossgolf 01:04 16 Aug 2008

sorry should of said; have taken the usb and IDE HDD out after it didnt work and it still didnt POST. everything is back to the way it was inside before but as i said before, no POST.

DieSse 01:10 16 Aug 2008

You probably disturbed something.

Usual culprits - RAM, Graphics Cards, Cables, Processor - in that order.

Take each out and reseat them firmly. Leave the processor till last.

You did unplug or switch off at the mains when you did the changes??

Otherwise the power on the motherboard (still there after a normal power-off) can kill things when you go plugging/unplugging.

rossgolf 01:14 16 Aug 2008

will try the above tomorrow when i get up. but in regards to the power, i turned off and unplugged, then when everything was unplugged i pressed the power button on the pc to get rid of any excess power.
i have been reading around and found out my motherboard or processor could be gone :S. hopefully not.
i have a spare PSU (not sure if it will fit)that i will try tomorrow.

when i take out the processor (if it comes to that) can i take out the processor and the fan all as one so i dont have to reapply thermal paste?

DieSse 01:23 16 Aug 2008

"when i take out the processor (if it comes to that) can i take out the processor and the fan all as one so i dont have to reapply thermal paste?"

Not normally, as it's difficult or impossible to reach or move the processor locking lever with the heatsink still in place.

DieSse 01:25 16 Aug 2008

"i have been reading around and found out my motherboard or processor could be gone"

Whilst possible - it's less likely than that you simply disturbed something.

rossgolf 01:26 16 Aug 2008

ok. hopefully it will be sorted before it comes to that.
will post back tomorrow with any results

rossgolf 11:56 16 Aug 2008

all sorted now. i just left it to cool off for the night and tried again, and now its working A Ok .
thanks for the input anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?