Trend Finds Virus But I’m Not Sure

Fastflys 19:59 19 Aug 2008

I have Trend installed on my computer and ran a scan on the C:\. Trend found 01 “Possible” virus.

The stated location:
Documents and Settings\NetworkService.NT Authority\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content IE5\ZBH1XQK6\Counter[1].htm

However after a long search I discovered that NetworkService.NT Authority folder/file is a hidden system operating folder/file which I assume XP requires to operate correctly?

Therefore I did not “Quarantine” and/or delete it as Trend suggested.

Can someone please advise [in simple terms] what if anything I need to do next?

I run regular scans but this is the first time that Trend has returned this result.

Thanks in advance
FF

mrwoowoo 21:55 19 Aug 2008

As it's located in the Temporary Internet Files of the program you can safely get rid of it.
The file is just that,temporary.
Quarantine it, as you can always reinstate it later if it causes any problems.
But it shouldn't.

DieSse 22:10 19 Aug 2008

You should regularly delete your temporary internet files. Better still set your browser to delete them every time it closes.

In IE look in Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - go down to Security section - tick the appropriate box.

Fastflys 08:39 20 Aug 2008

Thanks for your response.

The Temporary Internet Files folder within the NetworkService.NT Authority folder contains other sub folders and many other files. Do I Quarantine everything in the Temporary Internet Files folder or just the file “Counter[1].htm”?

Jim_F 08:58 20 Aug 2008

You should delete the files from with Internet Explorer Tools-Internet Options-Browsing Options-Temporary Internet Files-Delete

You can safely delete everything in the browsing history but websites will not remember passwords or logon details.

If you then recheck with trend then the file should be gone.

Fastflys 09:12 20 Aug 2008

I do regularly delete my Temporary Internet Files/Cookies/History etc.

The Temporary Internet File that I am referring to is located within the system operating folder: “NetworkService.NT Authority” not in the usual Temporary Internet folder that can be automatically or manually purged.

DippyGirl 10:34 20 Aug 2008

If you google
content.ie5 networkservice Counter[1].htm
fair few hits - mostly related to non-good things
If you are going to run an AV/AM scan you have to trust the s/w.
Quarantine gives you the option to restore if its a false +ve

DieSse 11:19 20 Aug 2008

Even from other folders, you can still delete things in Temp Internet Files.

Malware often tries to put itself outside normal reach of cleanups.

Try this disk cleanup software. I use it all the time.

click here

DieSse 11:23 20 Aug 2008

BTW I checked in that folder on my system and there's nothing in there.

DieSse 11:23 20 Aug 2008

(except the usual desktop.ini file)

Fastflys 11:37 20 Aug 2008

OK, so it seems that I should hit the Quarantine button.

This is what concerns me:

Trend identifies the “possible” virus thus:
Documents and Settings\NetworkService.NT Authority\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content IE5\ZBH1XQK6\Counter[1].htm

If I hit the Quarantine button am I quarantining the NetworkService.NT Authority system operating folder or just the “Counter[1].htm” file?

If by hitting the Quarantine button, Trend quarantines the whole system operating folder won’t this action cause WinXP to malfunction?

I don’t understand what a NetworkService.NT Authority system operating folder actually does only that it is hidden by default because it is a system operating folder

Thanks
FF

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires