Treacle feet!

Diemmess 16:58 10 Nov 2009

Quite recently once easy browsing has become sluggish to the point where I find it better to come offline and then open IE 7 again.
(XP Pro SP3, BT Yahoo)
Download speed continues to be very good.

Freshly loaded I can move around quite happily, but I suspect some update (Windows or AVG) may not allow whatever it is that cleans up after use.

At the beginning, one click is enough and sometimes as when browsing this forum a second click may be needed.
Later the window will change but not fill with data or needs leaving for what seems ages before it does.

Occasionally the thing becomes almost frozen and the MS apology with an error report ready to send to Bill.

Any ideas?

john bunyan 17:25 10 Nov 2009

I asume you run C Cleaner (quickly gets rid of browsing history, cookies etc) and Malawarebytes and maybe Superantispyware? Have you looked in events ? ie click start, run, type in eventvwr,enter then look in applications to see if there are any yellow or red warnings?

cocteau48 17:48 10 Nov 2009

Have you recently upgraded to AVG 9?

Their forum is awash with complaints about sluggish surfing since the latest upgrade (apparently turning off the LinkScanner cures it).

After three years I have now binned AVG because of this and their attitude that they will not provide tech support to AVG Free users (fair enough)but still expect those AVG Free users to help them rectify this.

Diemmess 18:01 10 Nov 2009

I do use CCleaner but get lazy about needing to put passwords in after a "good dose of salts"

Ran it in the new version just now and clear a vast amount of backlog.

Did upgrade AVG to v 9 and have this at the back of my mind when dealing with treacle feet.
No proof either way, but will have to wait and see if the problem is still there.

Various domestic duties call louder than this forum so I may not do any serious browsing again until tomorrow,
If the problem is still there I will uinstall AVG and try Avast perhaps.

Diemmess 18:01 10 Nov 2009

I do use CCleaner but get lazy about needing to put passwords in after a "good dose of salts"

Ran it in the new version just now and clear a vast amount of backlog.

Did upgrade AVG to v 9 and have this at the back of my mind when dealing with treacle feet.
No proof either way, but will have to wait and see if the problem is still there.

Various domestic duties call louder than this forum so I may not do any serious browsing again until tomorrow,
If the problem is still there I will uinstall AVG and try Avast perhaps.

Diemmess 18:03 10 Nov 2009

It is still there.
Would not post response until I rattled the keys and so there are twin posts!

john bunyan 18:17 10 Nov 2009

I am switching to MS Security Essentials when I move to W7 - am still using AVG 8.5 in view of comments on the forums.

cocteau48 18:36 10 Nov 2009

New version of AVG9 is out today and, apparently, it has not cured it.

Your symptoms:
"At the beginning, one click is enough and sometimes as when browsing this forum a second click may be needed.
Later the window will change but not fill with data or needs leaving for what seems ages before it does."

mirror exactly what I was experiencing as soon as I started using AVG 9 and as soon as I returned to version 8.5 all returned to normal.

woodchip 19:57 10 Nov 2009

Do not just blame your PC as PCA can be just like you say, its the same hear having to keep clicking refresh. As it stalls half way through loading pages etc

Procrastinus 20:49 10 Nov 2009

'Time for Avast, my son' I have heard say!
I love it. Gave up AVG some time ago.

Diemmess 16:07 11 Nov 2009

This was the culprit at least to my mind.
I had updated AVG to version 9 but felt that the problem started further back.

However I downloaded the home version of Avast.
Used AVG's own uninstall program and rebooted.
Ran the Avast install program offline

All sorts of frightening things happened with undeveloped desktop and skeleton versions of bits of web related stuff superimposed but vanished after another reboot.

Avast insisted on a scan of my H. drives, but today, having sorted out how to register and which buttons to press, all seems back to a brisk normality.

That is good news.... but sentimentality on my part regrets the passing of AVG from my computer.
Yonks ago I paid £25 (I think) for a CD with AVG and later discovered that I could download a free version which has served me ever since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?