transfure files from xp to vista ?

DrLector 17:15 05 Sep 2008

hi
iv have just got a new PC with vista and i would like to transfure old files /docs / films /music from my xp computer to the new vista PC

whats the best way to go about it ? iv seen some leads about that say the can transfure but they are not that cheap

thanks

The Kestrel 17:52 05 Sep 2008

When I had to do this, I simply used a USB pen drive to copy and transfer the files. You can buy a large capacity pen drive very cheaply now, probably much cheaper than the cables you mention. The pen drive can be used for many other tasks afterwards whereas the cables can't.

Woolwell 17:59 05 Sep 2008

Do you have a backup of your files? With my XP machine I had an external hard drive for back up and with my Vista machine all I did was connect up the hard drive and restore the files.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 05 Sep 2008

All sorts of ways to do it:

1. network the two PCs together

2. connect drive into new PC

3. put old drive into an external caddy and connect via USB port

4. burn files to a CD/DVD

5. copy to pen drive

6. connect PCs together by a USB transfer device

Pineman100 19:12 05 Sep 2008

You can get a 2GB Kingston pen drive for under £10 these days. That has to be the cheapest way of doing what you want - and of course you still have a useful pen drive after you've finished the file transfer. You could then use it for Vista's Ready Boost system.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?