Transferring web site

Pepper9 15:10 10 Nov 2008

I am thinking of changing my ISP provider but I have a web site set up using my "free" space with my old provider.

How easy is it to transfer my web site to a new provider please?

MAJ 15:16 10 Nov 2008

Simple, just download all your sites files to your computer (into one folder), using an FTP program like FileZilla click here for example. Then when you are ready with your new host, upload those files to their server.

Pepper9 15:20 10 Nov 2008

I know this sounds simple but how do I find where to get the sites files from to download to my computer please? Does FileZilla do this?

MAJ 15:41 10 Nov 2008

You must know where you uploaded the files to, Pepper9. If you can't remember, go to your ISP's website and check out their instructions on where to upload your files to in order to use their free webspace.

MAJ 15:42 10 Nov 2008

P.S. The link I gave for Filezilla doesn't seem to be working, use this one instead click here and choose the "FileZilla_3.1.5_win32-setup.exe" download.

Pepper9 15:42 10 Nov 2008

Many thanks MAJ - will do.

MAJ 16:13 10 Nov 2008

Be aware, that when you change ISP you wont be able to access your old ISP's free webspace, so make sure to get your files off their server before moving. If you are having problems doing that, let us know who your ISP is and we can maybe advise further with the settings you need to enter into your FTP Client (Filezilla).

Pepper9 16:20 10 Nov 2008

MAJ - have used FileZilla and transferred the files from Tesco.net to a new folder on my computer. All I need to do now is find the best broadband-only deal for my area (NE42).

Thanks again.

MAJ 16:28 10 Nov 2008

Good luck with your new provider.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017