transferring video to dvd

eniarg 20:37 05 May 2005

I'm a newbie, I want to know the best way to transfer my vhs videos onto dvd's. Should I use my pc or is there a 'movie-making' gadget out there?

kaled 20:53 05 May 2005

I use a panasonic dvd recorder - fast and easy to use.

However, if you type video to dvd in the helproom search box you'll find loads of postings.

One of these gadgets click here but they tend to be fairly slow in use but with the supplied software you can clean up and/or change the images.

Alternatively kaled's idea of using a DVD recorder is quicker.

gaz800 21:50 05 May 2005

Avermedia do an analogue card, and so do pinnacle. These fit internally to the pc. Transfer is via analogue video or s-video. Pinnacle also do a breakout box type of connector which is external to the pc. They will all allow you to transfer vhs to dvd files via their software. Pinnacle studio is better though.

GRFT 06:59 06 May 2005

If you still have your VCR the easist way is to hook it up to your DVD recorder with a SCART cable. It's a piece of cake, and avoids all the hassle of involving your PC.

jbaker65 08:32 06 May 2005

That's fine except if you want to remove adverts etc. Then you have to transfer to your PC edit out the unwanted bits and then author and record to DVD

GRFT 09:24 06 May 2005

Once your tape is copied to your DVD recorder it's a simple matter to then edit it. I do this all the time as I'm gradually transferring all my preferred VHS tapes to DVD. The PC isn't required.

David4637 13:36 06 May 2005

Is there an editting facility on a stand alone DVD recorder so you can edit out the adverts once you have transferred from VHS to DVD? Thanks David

kaled 15:19 06 May 2005

As long as your dvd recorder has a hard drive then editing out adverts is a piece of cake. Like GRFT I'm in the process of transferring videos to dvd - and it couldn't be easier.

SEASHANTY 15:35 06 May 2005

If your DVD recorder supports DVD-RAM discs then you can alsao edit out adverts and also put in bits where you require them. DVD-RAM support is provided in their recorders by Panasonic, JVC, Toshiba, Hitachi and Samsung. Also in DVD writers for PC by LG and Panasonic. For info on DVD-RAM discs
click here

SEASHANTY 15:42 06 May 2005

You could also type in <vhs to dvd> in the search box on the left hand side of this thread (not the top one) which will bring up 23 threads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017