Transferring stored mail between PCs

Mike_R 18:05 16 May 2014

I'm upgrading from an old clapped-out Vista desktop to one running under Win8. I will transfer data and photos via an external harddrive but can't find a quick way of transferring saved messages from Windows Mail. I could do it message at a time but wish to avoid that tedious task. I would welcome advice on the best method.

A further question if I may. My existing monitor is a 7 year old 22 inch ViewSonic X series. I could get a new Asus monitor. Would the picture quality for TV and videos be much better?

lotvic 20:50 16 May 2014

Depends, if you don't want to go the Export/Import route, you could archive them as .eml files - I did that with my old pc's emails, as detailed on another thread ClickHere you can save them directly to your external harddrive.

beeuuem 01:59 17 May 2014

I take it your saved messages are in Windows Mail. I used click here to save my OE mail and settings on an XP installation. I was then able to 'restore' it into Windows Mail on a new install of Windows 7. It should easily do what you require.

Mike_R 11:59 19 May 2014

Thanks. I will order my new desktop today and report back when it is set up in two weeks time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?