TRANSFERRING PROGRAMS & SETTINGS

asterias 09:39 02 Nov 2008

I have assembled a new desktop PC and have installed Windows XP Prof' SP3 O/S.As my old PC used the Windows XP Prof' O/S is it possible to use Windows XP Backup to transfer all my existing programs & settings onto an external USB2 HDD and then connect this external HDD to the new PC and download the settings,programs etc?

howard64 14:24 02 Nov 2008

about the only way I know of doing this is to use a disk imaging prog such as acronis. On your old pc you run the backup and then save it to the new hard drive. The only trouble with this is that it also puts the settings of your old pc on and the new one will not like it. Your simplest thing is to use the move to new pc option in xp. I do not think this moves progs only your data.

eedcam 14:36 02 Nov 2008

If you manage to transfer your software make sure you havethe relevant passwords /keys particularly with Adobes high end stuff, it knows its been moved wellit did in my case

Stuartli 14:55 02 Nov 2008

Why not just transfer the original drive's contents direct to the new hard drive using Seagate's DiskWizard (freeware) or similar?

click here

Then, after you have transferred your backup to the new hard drive, immediately undertaking an XP Repair should/will most likely ensure compatibility.

I undertake an XP Repair if, for instance, I have installed a new motherboard. See:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?