Transferring Outlook Express dbx files to Outlook

bettyc 17:41 31 Mar 2010

Hi,

I have recently got a new PC with Windows 7. I used to use Outlook Express on XP on my old PC. I have copied all my e-mails onto a mem stick as dbx files, however, when i try and copy these into Windows Live Mail, to then transfer across to Outlook several of my dbx folders will not copy across, it just says 'error importing' and no further details??

Is there a way to transfer the dbx files straight to Outlook? I can't use Outlook Express on the new computer as it's incompatible with Windows 7.

Did some of my dbx files corrupt? I have ensure that the 'read only' box is unticked so I don't think this can be the problem.

Thanks for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:06 31 Mar 2010

ON XP machine
1. The folder that contains the Outlook Express messages is marked as a hidden folder in Windows. To view this hidden folder, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options. Click the View tab, and under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.
2. Locate the folder named Outlook Express. In Windows XP, this folder is located here by default: C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{your Windows user identity number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.
3. Copy the Outlook Express folder and all its contents to the Documents folder on the computer running Windows 7. (You can store this copy of the Outlook Express folder in a location other than the Documents folder, as long as you remember where to find it.)

On Windows 7 machnie
1. Open Windows Mail by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Mail.
2. Click the File menu, point to Import, and then click Messages.
3. Click Microsoft Outlook Express 6, and then click Next.
4. Make sure Import mail from an OE6 store directory is selected, and then click OK.
5. Click Browse, find the Outlook Express folder you copied to this computer, and then click the folder once to select it. (Do not open the folder when you select it.)
6. Click Select Folder, and then click Next.
7. Click All folders to import all the folders, or click Selected folders and select which message folders you want to import, and then click Next.
8. Click Finish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017