Transferring O.S. to different drive.

the-george 21:29 21 Nov 2008

I have a PC with a dual boot system (ME & 2000 prof.) They are on 2 separate partitions.

I have another larger hard drive that I want to install but do not want to have to reinstall each system and then all the drivers and progs etc.If I fit the new drive ( it's already partitioned and formatted) what is the best way to transfer the contents of the 2 partitions so that the PC operates exactly as it does now.

I don't suppose it would be as easy as just copying from one drive to the other e.g. start up in ME and transfer the 2000 partition and vice versa!

Technotiger 21:32 21 Nov 2008

You need Acronis True Image, you could then Clone one drive to the other, a very easy process.

Technotiger 21:41 21 Nov 2008

To explain further - leave your original drive in place, put your bigger drive in a USB Enclosure. With the bigger drive attached, run Acronis, choose to Clone in Automatic Mode and just sit back, in a very short time the process will be completed, you simply follow a few on-screen prompts. When finished, just swap the drives over and re-boot, you will not see any difference to how your PC was before the change-over, except when you look in My Computer to check the new drive's size etc.

Belatucadrus 21:47 21 Nov 2008

Check out the website of the drive manufacturer, some of them host their own versions of Acronis, Paragon Drive copy or similar.

DieSse 11:45 22 Nov 2008

Seagate Disk Wizard is a free cut-down version of Acronis, which will do what you want.

click here

the-george 16:20 22 Nov 2008

Downloaded and used the Seagate Disk Wizard.

Great piece of kit.

Cloned the new drive in short space of time.

New drive in and working fine.

Thanks for all help.

Technotiger 17:36 22 Nov 2008

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?