Transferring OS to another HD

Red Devil 13:15 10 Jul 2008

Hi all,

Ok - there's something I would like to do but am not sure if I can do it and how if I can.

Basically - my 2nd PC has it's OS on a really old HD that I fear is about to fail and I have 2 spare HDs.

What I would like to do is transfer the OS from the old HD - with all the data, etc - and transfer it to one of my better ones and make that the bootable drive - WITHOUT having to go through the process of installing the OS on the new drive.

Plus I would like to keep all the data that's already on the 2nd HD.

Can I partition the 2nd drive - and not lose any of the data on it - and make 1 partition the one that the OS loads from and then transfer the OS as is onto that partition and, if so, how do I do it? After this I would like to be able to remove the old HD, make the 2nd HD the master HD and then add the 3rd as the slave HD and be where I store all my data.

I have IDE not SATA HDs on this PC if it makes any difference.

many thanks for any help that anyone can give me on this.

anskyber 13:28 10 Jul 2008

Clone it with Acronis. click here

eikonuj 13:32 10 Jul 2008

Try cloning your current C drive to a newer HDD, with Acronis True Image 11. I believe there is a free trial version available, but if you can - buy it - it's worth every penny. You should be able to do all you want and more. Eikonuj

DieSse 13:35 10 Jul 2008

Seagates Disk Wizard is designed to do exactly this - and it's a free, cutdown version of Acronis. May need a Seagate or MaxTor drive to be one of the hard drives.

click here

pj123 15:24 10 Jul 2008

I have not had any problems using xxclone.

It will clone any hard drive and it is free.

I have also used Maxblast 5 but at least one of your hard drives must be a Maxtor hard drive.

xxclone from here:

click here

and maxblast 5 from:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?