Transferring OEM recovery partition to an upgraded hard disk

chilldil 14:02 27 Aug 2014

I have an asus laptop with a 5400 rpm 500 GB hard drive. I want to upgrade my storage to a new 2 TB hard disk. All the forums I have looked at regarding transferring the OEM recovery partition suggest that the new hard disk be of the same make and model as the originally supplied version, which obviously defeats the purpose of this operation.

Is it possible to transfer the recovery partition to a hard disk of different make and model, and how do I do it?

Ian in Northampton 14:08 27 Aug 2014

With many laptops, there's a function that allows you to burn the recovery partition to DVDs, so that you can rebuild the laptop even if you have a total disk failure. Do you not have such a facility? That would probably be the easiest way.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:09 27 Aug 2014

The normal method would be to clone the old drive to the new one that would leave 150G unallocated which you could then even merge onto the C: drive or make a large partition to hold your data files.

chilldil 14:28 27 Aug 2014

@Ian The laptop does not have a DVD drive, but I did save the recovery module as iso images. Can these be used to create the recovery partition on the new hard-disk?

@Fruit Batman :D Thanks for the advice, I'll try it out. Do you have recommendation for a software which will allow me to clone a small disk to a larger one?

john bunyan 14:41 27 Aug 2014

For cloning and imaging I use a paid for "Acronis True Image" software, but on another laptop I use a free one - Macrium Reflect. See

Filehippo Macrium

alanrwood 09:53 28 Aug 2014

Cloning works sometimes but sometimes not. I have been successful on 2 occasions in retaining the Recovery drive and K/B combination to activate it but on 3 it was unsuccessful despite using the same method each time.I think it is related to specific sectors being located at particular spots on the drive but really not sure. If you have the disks make several copies in case one goes corrupt or degrades and then delete the recovery partition on the replacement drive and use the space for other things. Keep the original drive as it is for an emergency. At least that is my solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone