Transferring OE6 from old hard drive to new

toogie 10:22 21 Jul 2010

In a 2009 posting "Clapton is God" provided advice on how to make the transfer. I have just tried to do this but fail at the first fence. When I tried to open OE6 on my old drive it opened the new OE6 that I had begun to create on my new drive so I could not continue with item 1. from his instructions below: For info.I have my old drive installed as Slave with it "disabled" in the boot start menu.

Clapton is God

Sun, [email protected]:03

OK. If you can re-attach the old hard drive, this is how to export your OE address book and then import it back into OE on your new hard drive:

1. On the File menu, click Export and then Address Book
2. Click Text File (Comma Separated Values) and then click Export
3. Click Browse
4. Locate the Mail Backup folder that you created
5. In the File Name box, type Address Book Backup and then click Save
6. Click Next
7. Click to select the check boxes for the fields that you want to export and then click Finish
8. Click OK and Close

MAT ALAN 10:42 21 Jul 2010

have my old drive installed as Slave with it "disabled" in the boot start menu.

Should the slave drive not be "enabled" so you can see the info on it that you want to transfer...

toogie 10:56 21 Jul 2010

MAT ALAN Thanks for advice but, even though I have enabled the slave drive at boot up, the OS6 on the slave opens to the newly created OS6 !!

MAT ALAN 11:41 21 Jul 2010

Might work...

uninstall OE6 from master, transfer OE6 data from slave to a folder on master, reinstall OE6 then go through file tranfer as per...

lotvic 14:14 21 Jul 2010

No, no, don't delete your new OE6, you need to IMPORT

Hook up the old drive as slave
Now you need to 'show hidden files and folders'
Open Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View > and put dot in 'show hidden files and folders' click on 'Apply' and 'OK'

Open your new OE6
File > menu > Import > in the new box 'Select Program' choose 'outlook express 6' and click on 'Next'
new box opens, put dot in 'Import mail from an OE6 store directory' click on OK
new box opens, 'Location of Messages' click on 'Browse'
new box opens, 'Browse for Folder' navigate to the OLD drive and
Documents and settings>yourname>Local settings>Application
Data>Identities> {long folder name of numbers symbols and letters} > Microsoft> Outlook Express
highlight select 'Outlook Express' click on 'Next'
in box 'Location of Messages' click on 'Next'
Select 'All Folders' and click on 'Next'
a new box opens and tells you 'Import Complete' click on 'Finish'

lotvic 14:19 21 Jul 2010

edit, slight typo. should read:
Open your new OE6
File > Import > messages

MAT ALAN 14:59 21 Jul 2010

lotvic, good spot matey, i have missed the the option to import to, which sensibly is the way to go if the new OE6 is now your default email as opposed to trying to export from the old OE6, heads a shed mate...

toogie 15:33 21 Jul 2010

lotvic, absolutely BRILLIANT!!! I have all of my emails (over 1400) back where they now belong !!
I do have one more request for help though, because the process has not recovered my address book. Should it have done or is it because I have not managed to back up correctly?

lotvic 18:29 21 Jul 2010

Glad the messages are sorted :)
Windows Address Book
You can IMPORT in same way as the message import. just choose File > Import > Address Book
browse to
[Harddrive Letter]:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\[your name].wab
select (highlight) the .wab then click on 'Open' and it will do it.

toogie 21:45 21 Jul 2010

Thanks that was easy.
One last thing!! Do you have any ideas why my new OE6, which is now up and running will send emails ok but will not receive ? I have checked all the account details and they look ok.

Sea Urchin 22:04 21 Jul 2010

In OE go to Tools - Accounts - Properties - Servers tab. Check the Incoming Mail(POP3) box and make sure the setting matches your email provider. I don't think you've mentioned which it is. Correct it and click Apply and OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?