Transferring HDD from old puter to New[ish] one

jack 14:17 02 Feb 2005

Am in process of setting up an old P11 puter for somebody. When done will remove hard drive from her existing P1 machine and install on the new[er] one to transfer her stuff.
So chaps and chapesses I think I know what to do
check me out please.

1. remove drive reset jumper to slave and install
Is that all I need do?
Do I have to disable Windoze on the old drive
or Fdisk to remove active partition?

Thank you in anticipation

PA28 14:22 02 Feb 2005

You should be OK on what you suggest. Her computer will load Windows from her current C: drive and will ignore that on the slave D: drive. Copy only data across - applications will need to be reinstalled fresh on her C: drive. You can usually transfer My Documents across in one lump, simply delete or rename the My Documents folder that will have been created fresh on the C; drive.

plsndrs3 14:24 02 Feb 2005

I did the same a while ago - as long as the additional drive is set to slave, there is no need to mess with Windows settings.

I assume that the new HDD will have windows loaded? If so, why not move the programs and data onto the new drive and format the old one? Gives you a whole, wmpty Hard drive. There are many programmes for this available. If not, why not swap the 2 drives over so that the 'old' one is the master [bootable] and the 'new' one becomes the slave?

Regards,

Paul

jack 17:06 02 Feb 2005

Thank you mutchly
Now I know what to do

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires